Monthly Newsletters

July Newsletter

This month we are offering members another opportunity to try some mini workshops.  These will take place in the morning between 10:15 and 12noon but you can join in at any time so don’t worry if you arrive a bit late.  Here are the details:

Title & leader

What to bring
Zen doodles – Gail Marsh

A black fine liner pen (about size 0.3) and a pencil.  Gail will provide everything else you will need and has plenty of spare pens.  No drawing skills are required and it is an easy process to follow. Positive results all round!

Maximum 6 people
Wool Lichens –
 Jill Maloney

Curly wool tops or interesting wool
Selection of yarns and basic sewing kit.
Don’t buy anything specifically – Jill will bring a selection
Doodle Stitch –
 Claire Ketteman
Needlefelt applique and stitch technique using simple stitches.  Bring crewel or fine stitching wools and wool tops if you have them but these are often difficult to find in local shops!  Claire will bring a selection in various colours.

Basic sewing kit

If you prefer to work on your own project, then there will be enough space for you to sit and sew whilst enjoying a good catch up with other members.

In the afternoon, our speaker is Jackie Cardy who will be talking about her work as a felt maker.

Travelling Books
The moment we’ve all been waiting for!  The Travelling Books will be returned to their owners and we will be able to see the results of 6 months of stitching.  Sally will be taking photographs of the books but this is a mammoth task.  If you feel confident to take your own photos then please take the following:
·         Front cover
·         Each entry – 1 photo of stitched piece and 1 photo of inspiration
·         13 photos in total
·         Send them to sally-mcgonigle@sky.com ASAP

If anyone is interested in continuing with, or even joining, the Travelling Book project, please have a word with Sue Sissling or myself. 

Branch Committee
At this point, many of you will skim over this paragraph, invisibly take a step backwards or avert your gaze!  I know I’ve done it several times in the past but I urge you to keep reading.  We need new people to join the committee and if we split the jobs up into small tasks it is not too onerous and it’s a great way to get to know other members of the branch.  Last year, friends Jane Filby and Joanna Haigh took over the role of Treasurer and split it into finance and membership.  Could you and a friend take on one of these jobs?  I have attached a separate sheet describing the roles.  We will need to appoint a new committee at our September AGM.

These changes have come about as a result of 3 committee members stepping down:  After many years of service on the branch and regional committee, Elizabeth Johnston is standing down to focus on some of her church and other commitments.  Enid Pyrah has been our publicity officer, quietly sending photos to the Craven Herald and putting posters in local shops.  Clare Hutchinson has been programme secretary for the last year and has organised an excellent range of speakers and workshops for 2018.  I am extremely grateful to these ladies who have supported the branch with such enthusiasm and commitment. 

Yet more creative challenges
Here are some other calls for entries; you might find that some of your current work fits the themes or perhaps you could use some samples that you have made and not used.

  • Inchies – Sue Ingles would like all members to make at least one 3cm square (with a 1cm boarder) using any style or technique.  These will be patchworked together by Sue to make a cover for the Skipton Branch book.  Deadline July meeting.
  • YH Region Chairman’s Challenge – a piece that could be reproduced as a card for use by the Region.  Deadline 7th October 2017
  • National Day of Stitch – the theme this year is butterflies.  We have been offered a room at Skipton Town Hall to host a workshop/demonstration on Saturday 5th August.  Craven Museum and Gallery have also agreed to loan us some of their butterfly specimens from the collection.  I have been sent templates but if anyone would like to stitch a butterfly of their own design and bring it to Skipton Town Hall on Saturday 5th August then I would be very grateful
  • Airedale hospital have asked for volunteers to make fabric drain bag covers and Manorlands hospice would like help making memory cushions.  Details of both requests are in the Branch Folder.
  • Name badges – Jill has given me some blank plastic holders so if you would like to make a name badge……….

News from Guild HQ and Yorkshire and the Humber Region
The Guild have a new ‘Safeguarding Adults’ policy.  You should have all been sent a copy by email but just to remind you that it is also in the Branch Folder which has replaced the noticeboard.  Sally McGonigle is our designated Safeguarding Officer.

The YH Region is looking for a Regional Secretary and a new editor for their Yearbook.  There are job descriptions in the Branch Folder if anyone is interested.

Raffle colour:  Lilac

Forthcoming events  
·         Saturday 5th August – National Day of Stitch, The Hub, Skipton Town Hall 11am-3pm
·         Monday 11th September, 1-3pm, The Gallery, Skipton Town Hall – Animation Workshop with artist Virpi Kittu in association with Skipton Puppet Festival (Free)
·         Monday 18th September – branch AGM with election of officers.  Please see attached sheet calling for new members of the committee
·         Saturday 7th October – Regional AGM, Scarcroft Village Hall, Leeds

Sorry this is such a long newsletter and I look forward to catching up with you all next week


Claire




Vacant Committee Roles

Some of these are existing roles and some are new but there will be plenty of help and support from previous committee members to get you started.  It would be great to have some new ideas and a fresh view on how we do things.  Please think about how you might do one of these jobs, either on your own or with a friend.  The committee meets 4 times a year and most of the jobs require only a small amount of extra work.

Title
Brief description
Approximate time
Notes
Publicity Officer
Liaison with Printers for programmes & posters
Distributing posters and fliers
Liaison with Craven Herald
Social Media
½ day per month
Don’t be put off by social media!  Sally & Claire K currently write blog and Susie & Sally do FaceBook and are happy to continue
Programme Secretary
Plan speakers and workshops for following (2019) year
Liaise with speakers and tutors before each visit
Book members onto workshops
Book venues
Programme design

2-3 days (over a period of weeks) to book speakers, usually by email or phone
Meet and greet before talks and workshops but other committee members can help here
Programme is already booked for 2018.  Would need to start organising 2019 programme early next year
Claire K has programme template
Outreach Coordinator
·         Yarndale
·         All-age workshops
·         After school club
·         Milton House (elderly care home)
Book events
Decide what activities to run (Pinterest board for collecting ideas, members to help prepare activities)
Prepare publicity
Plan rota for member helpers
Liaise with external events/bodies
Quite intense periods of activity around each event:
Yarndale – 3 days/year
All-age workshops 2 days per year
After school – 1 day/week for 5 weeks or 1 day/month
Milton House – 1 day/month
This role could be done as a small sub-committee with 3 or 4 people each taking responsibility for an area.  Claire K currently does all of this


Current Committee:

Chair                                       Claire Ketteman
Vice-chair                              Jill Maloney
Secretary                               Sally McGonigle
Treasurer                              Jane Filby
Membership                         Joanna Haigh
Publicity                                 Enid Pyrah*
Programme Secretary        Clare Hutchinson*
Guild Liaison Officer           Elizabeth Johnston*
Other members                  Sue Ingles
Sue Sissling

*standing down in September 2017



June Newsletter

Hello everyone!  We had a lovely trip to the M&S Archive in Leeds last month and we must thank Enid Pyrah for organising it so well.  Sadly, she was not in control of the weather and so we were unable to explore the delights of Roundhay Park.

This month the branch meeting has a slightly different format as we welcome Priscilla Jones who will lead a workshop to make textile and wire sculptures (see picture).   The workshop is almost fully booked but I understand that one place is still available.  Please email or phone Clare Hutchinson or myself to book a place.  The meeting room might be a bit chaotic but we will do our best to make sure that there is space for those who want to work on their own projects.  By way of explanation, the committee decided to try this format when we had fewer members and we were struggling to fill places on weekend workshops.  I would welcome feedback from both participants and those working on their own projects.

Things to bring to the meeting
·         Travelling books – the penultimate swap!
·         Continuous wall pictures which were made for Yarndale 2015.  We have been asked to lend them to Pauline Heywood for display at the British Wool Show which takes place 8-9th July at Thirsk Rural Business Centre.

Yet more creative challenges
Just a reminder about some other calls for entries.  You might find that some of your current work fits the themes or perhaps you could use some samples that you have made and not used.

  • Inchies – Sue Ingles would like all members to make at least one 3cm square using any style or technique.  These will be patchworked together by Sue to make a cover for the Skipton Branch book.  Deadline July meeting.
  • YH Region Chairman’s Challenge – a piece that could be reproduced as a card for use by the Region.  Deadline 7th October 2017
  • Name badges – Jill has given me some blank plastic holders so if you would like to make a name badge……….

Exhibitions
·         Our Capability Brown wall hanging can be seen at Farfield Mill, Sedbergh from 17th June – 30th July
·         British Wool Show at Thirsk Rural Business Centre 8-9th July.

Raffle colour:  Orange

Forthcoming events  
·         July Meeting
o    mini workshop:  doodle stitching with Claire Ketteman
o    Talk:  Jackie Cardy The Accidental Felter
o    Raffle colour:  Lilac
·         5th August – National Day of Stitch


Looking forward to catching up with you all next week









2 comments:

  1. Thank you Claire for taking the time to create this blog which will keep us all up to date as well as inform others about the guild.

    Do come and join us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare Hutchinson19 May 2013 at 09:07

    Great Idea Claire, to start up a blog - especially for those of us not always able to attend meetings. Many thanks for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete

National Day of Stitch

Lovely day stitching butterflies at The Bub in Skipton Town Hall on Saturday.